AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
We provide a complete dispute resolution service to businesses and their owners. We litigate cases in the state and federal courts at the trial and appellate level, as well as before administrative agencies. We also advocate for our clients through ADR, including all forms of court annexed and private arbitration and mediation. We also actively counsel our business clients in litigation avoidance.
The following are examples of the type of business disputes that we handle in many industries, including chemical, publishing, real estate development, construction, aircraft manufacturing and component parts, labeling, fitness, marine and food, to name a few:
Disputes Between Or Among Business Owners.
- Business owners who must separate from one or more other owners, sometimes referred to as a “business divorce”.
- Disputes over shareholder agreements, operating agreements and partnership agreements.
- Shareholder oppression and derivative claims in which minority shareholders seek vindication individually and on behalf of the corporation.
- Claims of theft, conversion, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and unjust enrichment (seeking damages, accountings, constructive trusts, declaratory judgments and injunctions).
- Valuation, dissolution and winding up, dissociation.
Disputes Between Business And Their Employees.
- Defense of employee discrimination and wrongful discharge claims (e.g., Title VII, ADEA, ADA, FMLA) whether pending before the EEOC and CHRO or in state or federal court.
- Employee violation of covenants not to compete, solicit or not to disclose confidential information, including trade secrets.
- Unemployment and overtime wage claims.
- Employee theft and misconduct.
- Employee applicant issues (e.g., screening and background checks).
- Employee manuals and terms and conditions of employment.
Disputes Between Businesses And Third Parties.
- Breach of contract cases (e.g., failure to pay or perform services or provide goods)
- Trademark and trade name infringement and unfair competition
- Interference with contract and business relations
- Commercial lease disputes
- Trespass and property damage
- Personal injury and wrongful death defense
Aviation And Aerospace Litigation Defense.
Aviation and aerospace litigation defense covers a broad spectrum:
- Domestic and foreign air crashes resulting in wrongful death and personal injury.
- Incidents of air turbulence, hijacking, terrorism, emergency evacuations, alleged food poisoning and even the simple trip/slip and fall on the aircraft or in the airport.
- Overbooked flights/denied boarding, travel delays, lost baggage, alleged discrimination and even assaults among passengers.
- Commercial losses to shippers and consignees caused by alleged damage, loss or delay of their cargo.
- Hull losses sustained by the owner of the aircraft and its subrogated insurers.
- Products liability claims involving component part manufacturers.
Litigation Related To Our Firm Practice Areas.
In addition to the specific types of litigation described above, we regularly represent clients in litigation related to some of our other practice areas, such as probate court litigation (e.g., will contests, charitable trust amendments), property tax appeals, landlord/tenant and commercial lease disputes resulting in eviction actions.